Monday, September 1, 2008

Labor Day

I always kind of wanted to go into labor on Labor Day. How apt would that be? Anyway, here is a fun little meme that came from The White House, originally from Rocks in My Dryer.

How long were your labors?
I've only had one, and it thankfully wasn't that long- 14 hours. (Though even a minute of labor feels like an eternity when you're the one in it!)

How did you know you were in labor?
I knew something was up when they put gel on my cervix, started pitocin, and broke my water. :)

Where did you deliver?
Baylor Hospital in Dallas. I am so thankful that we live here in Dallas, because Baylor has one of the best NICUs in the world, which we needed for our little preemie!

Drugs?
I wanted to go au-naturale and was doing pretty well until the doctor came in after 12 hours of hard contractions and told me I was only 4cm dilated. I gave up and joyfully accepted that huge needle in my spine! :) Eric almost passed out during it. :)

C-Section?
Yes. Since I was a high-risk pregnancy they didn't want to allow labor to go on for too long, for both my sake and the baby's. And when Eli's heart rate started to drop, they had him out of me in about 10 minutes.

Who delivered?
My wonderful OB/GYN. With the pregnancy complications, I saw him at least twice a week for the last two months of my 7-month pregnancy. He feels like a member of our family now. :)

Labor is one of those things that is super-easy to complain about (and rightfully so! It HURTS!). But when it comes right down to it, pretty much every mom in the world would go through 100 times worse just to get the precious reward at the end. They're worth it all!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So true, they are definitely worth it! Our eldest was in the NICU for a couple weeks (he was healthier than most, we were really blessed!). Didn't you just wonder where the NICU nurses hide their wings??

Erica said...

They were all so amazing. The staff in the NICU made our 6 weeks there as bearable as possible, which is saying a lot. We are so grateful!

Tyne said...

I love it! What a great story, and you are so right about the labor being worth it for the gift we get in the end.

I was kind of sad right after I had Audrey that I may never go through labor again, but alas, looks like I will have another turn in March.